Saturday, August 21, 2010

A look back at our Wedding Day

James and I were married on Sunday, June 20th, 2010 at 6pm at Millcreek Inn, we had a bunch of family and friends in town to help us celebrate.   People came from Florida, Ohio, Indiana, Wisconsin, Illinois, Texas, Mississippi,  and California.   Our wedding weekend consisted of James taking our guests on a walking tour of the U, a day touring Park City, and our rehearsal dinner. Of course something ALWAYS goes wrong when you have a house full people...our tankless water heater went out on Saturday, so while the crew went to Park City, my brother and I stayed to let the plumber in.  Well, actually Jeff stayed while I went for a mani and pedi : ) .  The plumber did his best but could not figure out the problem so we made do with the few minutes of hot water we did have each day.  

James in his office with his cousin Debra

 During our rehearsal dinner we gave everyone in our wedding party a gift for being so kind as to be in our wedding.   James gave an engraved business card holder to John and Bill.  We gave my brother a gravity pen set, my Mom and Dad got an engraved photo album that they get use for wedding pictures, and I gave Jen a bride and groom snowglobe since we got married in the same month.   Everyone surprised us with a gift they purchased for us while they were in Park City.  They gave us a honeymoon clock with the numbers on the clock in the horizontal position, so that when you look at it in....while you get the idea!





Our honeymoon clock

"Mr & Mrs" to be cake
I absolutely loved our Mr. & Mrs. to be cake that matched the desert plates and napkins that we bought.




Our wedding day was perfect.  Luckily the weather had cleared and warmed up.  Just days before our wedding it was cold, cold, cold and rainy! The afternoon started with me getting my hair and make-up done while James went to lunch with his best man, John.   We heading up to Millcreek at 3:30 for our rehearsal and to decorate the tables and arbor.   Here is how the ultra cute arbor turned out. Jen added the paper lanterns, and Liz did the all the flower arrangements.  I am so glad I decided on renting the blue sashes for the chairs, they added SO much to the decor.   Just look how gorgeous the scenery is behind the arbor!  Loved it!!
Chairs and Arbor

Candle Tower with Liz's flower arrangement

Oh, I forgot to mention my colors were light blue and red.   In choosing the colors, we choose red because it is significant to both James and I because he works for the University of Utah and I work for Coke, both of our employers colors are red.  Aren't we clever?!   I choose light blue because I thought it was different and I loved the way it looked with the red.     So check out the tables...white table clothes, light blue runners, red carnations, and red Coke bottles that we used as the favors.   But these aren't just ordinary Coke bottles,no siree,  they are only available in high end hotels and VIP events.   Ohh la la, of course my wedding was a VIP event ( at least in my eyes).
Table arrangements



Adorable carnations and Coke bottle favors

Sweetheart table


Place cards
Some of the other details of the day were the table cards, place cards, and wishing trees.   James and  I wanted names for the tables that signified the wedding, not just boring table numbers.   So we came up with words that are meaningful to our relationship and our wedding day. Our table names were Love, Vows, Kiss, I Do, Rings, Hug, Marriage, June, Newlyweds, Soul Mates, and our sweetheart table was called Mr. & Mrs. On the back of each table card we wrote quotes, slogans, or definitions that related the name.   The place cards had either red or blue paper flowers glued to them designating if the guest was having chicken or beef for dinner.  I used the wishing tree as my guest book.  Instead of guests signing their name in a book that I would probably never look at again, I asked people to write down advice that they had for the brand new Mr. and Mrs.   It was so fun reading all of our "wishes" from our guests. 

The wedding ceremony could not have been more memorable.   James and I wrote out our entire ceremony and gave it to our Officiant.   Pastor Dave did a great job with the opening prayer, ring ceremony, our vows and the rose ceremony.   He told us he had never heard of a rose ceremony and he thought it was just the neatest thing on the planet.  James and I chose to write our own vows which made the ceremony that much more meaningful.   Here are our vows: "I take you as my partner in life and my one true love. I will cherish our friendship and love you today, tomorrow, and forever. I will trust you and honor you. I will laugh with you and cry with you. I will love you faithfully through the best and the worst, through the difficult and the easy. Whatever may come I will always be there. I give you my hand, my heart, and my love, from this day forward for as long as we both shall live."

Rose Ceremony
After the ceremony James and I went with the photographer while our guest enjoyed appetizers and drinks.  One of the funniest moments of the wedding is when we were introduced for the first time as husband and wife.   Our DJ, said "Let's welcome Mr. and Mrs. HANSEN!!!!  opps!  It was actually a very funny moment! 
The toasts were next.   I could not have been happier with everyone's toast.   My Dad spent most of the morning working on the computer preparing his speech, I was actually a little worried that he was still working on it the morning of my wedding, but his preparation paid off.   Even though he doesn't like giving speeches he did a fabulous job.   Jen and John's speeches fit both of us to a tee.  It's funny because looking back at my wedding photo's I can see Jen in the background of some of the pic's rehearsing her speech, poor girl.  James' speech was the most enduring speech I have ever heard.   I knew he was preparing the speech a couple weeks before the wedding but I never could have imagined how funny, caring, and memorable it would be.   Luckily we have most of his speech on our wedding video.   

After dinner and the toasts, it came time for our first dance.  The surprise that we didn't tell our family about is that we had been taking dance lessons.   About two months before the wedding we took 4 private dance lessons with an instructor that taught us the basics.   Once James mastered "getting on his toes" it was smooth sailing.  I am very proud of him.  We hope to continue dance lessons this winter.  Our first dance was to Chicago's "Your The Inspiration" 
The Father Daughter dance followed shortly after the Heartland's "I loved her first"
The final event of the evening was the Cake Cutting.   We did this to the song "Sugar, Sugar".   The cake was so cute, I didn't really want to cut into it.


After the wedding we went to Park City and Spent the night and the Waldorf Astoria, we arrived fairly late because we had troubles finding it.   When we did arrive we were pleasantly surprised that they upgraded us to a suite with a complete kitchen, and a gorgeous view of the pool and mountains.   Too bad we had to vacate the hotel at 2am because the fire alarm went off...Seriously, I am not kidding! Apparently a hot water pipe burst and was leaking hot water in a couple rooms.   It took them about an hour to sort things out and then we were able to return to our rooms.   At least it's a memory!

That's it in a nutshell, here are some pictures of the wedding party.




 And some favorites...



 

1 comment:

  1. I'm so excited that you didn't just create a blog, you're actually posting on it!!! Wahoo!!! The wedding memories are awesome, thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete